Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Abandon, by Elana Johnson (Possession #3)

 Please note that this review contains spoilers for the first two books in this series, Possession and Surrender.

In the finale to one of the most confusing series ever, the rebellion is finally ready to take action and overthrow the mind-controlling government once and for all. The supernaturally gifted teenagers leading the rebellion are faced with the hardest decisions they've ever had to make, involving war, the moralities of their powers, and their hearts. Vi chose Jag already so that love triangle is over, but Zenn is still in love with Vi and has to take orders from the boy she loves. As the rebellion comes to a climax, loyalties are tested and there is too much flip-flopping between sides for me to recount it here.

This book was way too long. In some cases I'm thrilled when the final book of a series is 464 pages long, and when I'm done I'm salivating for more, but in this case it was just too much. Halfway through I was so bored but yet desperate to know the end that I read the last chapter before returning to where I was up to. The ending was just enough motivation to get me through, as it finished the series off on the right note, though I will warn prospective readers that it was bittersweet. If you're looking for rainbows and unicorns you should put this book down.

There were so many gifts and talents and combinations of them amongst the characters that I lost track of who could do what pretty quickly. The fact that nothing was ever explained did not help with this confusion, and after a while I just assumed that everyone could do everything because it was so misleading. I also didn't understand half of what was happening when each character used their powers because I was so unsure of what their powers actually were.

Before I go, I have a question to ask you which has been bothering me. If there are adults involved in the rebellion, why is Jag, a teenage boy, the leader? He's been the leader for years which means he probably took over when he was around 14 or 15, and if I was part of this rebellion there is absolutely no way I would trust a boy in the middle of puberty. Why did the adults listen to him in the first place? Did he use his voice on them? Because that's a very long ruse to keep up if he's going to keep using his voice to get them to listen to him, and they'd have probably figured it out eventually. For now I will be content that the answer is that the author wanted Vi's love interest to be the leader of the rebellion, but if anyone has a better answer please supply it.


3. 6 stars

Abandon (Possession, #3) seduced by power,
broken by control,
and consumed by love...

Vi has made her choice between Jag and Zenn, and the Resistance may have suffered for it. But with the Thinkers as strong as ever, the rebels still have a job to do. Vi knows better than anyone that there's more at stake than a few broken hearts.

But there is a traitor among them...and the choices he makes could lead to the total destruction of everything Vi has fought for.

Vi, Jag, and Zenn must set their problems aside for the Resistance to have any hope of ending the Thinkers' reign. Their success means everything...and their failure means death

No comments: