Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Matter of Magic, by Patricia C. Wrede

One of the most ingenious authors ever, Patricia C. Wrede never ceases to dazzle me with her wild imagination that somehow makes sense. A Matter of Magic is two books put together: Mairelon the Magician, and its sequel, The Magician's Ward. In these two books, Wrede manages to stick magic into Regency England in such a natural way that in history class you might comment about the magicians' effect on the government. That would actually be quite funny. For everyone else, that is.

In Mairelon the Magician, Kim, a pickpocket on the streets of London, is taken in by Mairelon, a traveling magician who is a lot more than just a traveling magician. They go on an adventure to find a special magic dish. Sorry, but I can't describe it any better without giving something vital away. The Magician's Ward is the sequel which I also obviously can't talk about without ruining. But if you think a little you might be able to figure out what it's about.

Even if I tried, I couldn't describe to you just how delightful this book was. I read it a month ago (I didn't blog about it for a month because I was in a land far far far away from computers, internet, good showers, and working toilets although I don't know what the last two had to do with anything) and am still smiling when I think about it even though I only remember the basic plotline. The beginning is a little bit boring but I am recommending that you stick to it like I did. Trust me. It'll be worth it.

4.8 stars. As I mentioned before, the beginning was a bit boring.
A Matter of Magic
Gorgeous dress, isn't it?

No comments: