Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Gathering, by Kelley Armstrong

This book is in the same world as the rest of Kelley Armstrong's books but less obviously so--names are recognized but the main character has never read any of Kelley Armstrong's other books so doesn't realize that Dr. Davidoff is actually evil. Ahem. But, anyway, it was very interesting, if not boring. That didn't make sense. I apologize. It seemed like all the exciting things happened one after another and then there was a lull until another 5 stuff happened 50 pages later.

The story goes something like this: Maya lives in this really weird town near a medical research facility and then all these strange things start happening. And there's the hot not so new guy who is always hitting on her but she always turns down because he's been in town long enough to break a lot of hearts. But she disregards her own warnings and falls for him anyway. Then there is her best friend who was her dead best friend's boyfriend until her dead best friend, well, died. And it is clear that he now has a thing for Maya but she is almost totally oblivious to it. She kind of knows but is in very deep denial. Very very very deep denial.

The whole two love interests thing really gets on my nerves. Most of the time I cheer for the loser so get upset when she doesn't pick him, but if I cheer for the guy she chooses I feel bad for him because he knows that she had/has feelings for the other guy. So it's a no-win situation. But usually I cheer for the loser (yes, I was on Team Jacob) so it's even worse. However, I don't think this will escalate into that because Kelley Armstrong already created a love triangle in the Darkest Rising (I think that's what it's called) series. Chloe has to choose between Derek and Simon. I spent a month listening to my friends pray she would choose Derek before actually reading the book. I must say, I like Simon a whole lot better. Ok, Derek is hot but she clearly states that Simon is gorgeous too. I just realized I've been rambling about the wrong series. I'm sorry. But Simon is 10 times cooler and the only reason she isn't with him is because she isn't good enough!!! (whew-got that off my chest)

I'm bored so I'm going to stop myself (not so) short.

Read it. Don't read it. If you do then comment. If you don't then I don't really care.



1 comment:

Haylie K said...

You really made me laugh with this post! (In America!)