Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Ex-Mrs. Hedgefund, by Jill Kargman

I must confess: I do not usually like books about divorced women. Why? because they are all identical and every single character is selfish. Every single one- even the ones who are supposed to be "nice". The plot is woman gets divorced, woman cries, woman has fling, woman forgets that she is mother, woman and Mr. Right II live happily ever after. The end. This book did follow the mold up to a point but as it is a romantic comedy it didn't have much choice with the whole Mr. Right II thing. However, what I did admire was Holly's love for her child. In the middle of all her emotional turmoil she is still a great mom with her priorities straight. She does cry and mourn the end of her marriage, but she doesn't neglect her son.

Now you are probably thinking that I loved this book because I didn't bash it yet. Don't get your hopes up. Or down. Or in any direction. The bashing is yet to come.

My problems with this book were (as usual) with the supporting characters. Kiki, Holly's best friend and ex-sister-in-law, is way too over-dramatized. Someone with her style and personality only exists in movies and books and her happy ending came way too early and surrealy. Yes, I know that is not a word. Meanwhile, [spoilers ahead] Elliot is too much like Holly to be real. I'm sorry but he is too similar to her to be real. Ok, I'm done now.

But let me tell you, that ex-he's evil. Majorly evil.

4.2 stars. I thought I could go higher but I couldn't.

No comments: