Saturday, January 7, 2012

Demon Princess: Reign or Shine, by Michelle Rowen

This year my resolution is to blog about the books I read while I can still remember them and my witty comments are still fresh in my head. Demon Princess is about a girl who I think is called Nicki who finds out that her dad who she has never met is in fact the king of the Shadowlands, which is the realm separating the Underworld from the human realm (I would have said "our realm" but that would be acknowledging that I'm actually human).

So Nicki is suddenly called to the Underworld because her father dying just happened to coincide with around the time when she gets her Darkling powers (half-human, half-demon). Just so you know, that coincidence is never explained or even mentioned. I realized it myself. But things just happen in these alternate universes which authors write about and we cannot question how they do/don't work out. During all this she's also dealing with her stepfather (who is a grade A jerk), one of the most popular boys in school asking her out (surprisingly enough, she doesn't OMG over that as much as I thought she would) and her new crush on her guide/servant/guy who came to fetch her who happens to be totally off limits. She talks about how good looking he is, and how green his eyes are so much that at the end of the book I was practically in love with him too.

I still maintain that demons must be bad but then again, vampires are supposedly bad too. My argument is that demons are inherently evil and therefore it is impossible for them to be good. Their evilness should extend beyond the selfishness and cruelty of ordinary villains and even lead them to sacrifice themselves in the name of evil. Therefore, Michelle Rowen's demons aren't even demons and I hold that under her Underworld is another Underworld, one filled with actual evil.

4.5 stars. For a somewhat ditzy and totally shallow teen read it was actually kind of good.

No comments: