Monday, December 24, 2012

Outside In, by Maria V. Snyder (Insiders, #2)

To read my review on the first Insiders book, Inside Out, click here.

The fight against the Travas is over and the society in the cube flying through space is on their way to democracy. Or at least, that's what Trella thought would happen after the events of Inside Out. However, trying to install a new system of government is a lot harder than it seems (and it seems pretty hard!!) and the citizens of Inside are facing a new unknown danger. Mysterious explosions are occurring on board and everyone is looking at Trella and her Force of Sheep to save the day once again. With the fate of her world on her hands Trella must explore her homeship for new areas and clues as to the mission of the ship is, and find the villain exploding parts of her home and endangering her friends, all while trying to spend time with her new boyfriend. And when Trella discovers that this new threat is from Outside, everything she knows is turned upside down and inside out (sorry, couldn't help myself).

Overall thoughts:
I absolutely loved this book. It took me a while to actually pick it up because when a prequel has a solid ending like Inside Out did, I don't want to mess up the perfect world in my head. However, once I started Outside In I couldn't put it down. I'm not kidding-I read it in one day because I just couldn't go to sleep without finishing it, and that doesn't usually happen to me on a school night. I should probably include though that I did skim parts of the book because of the technical lingo. I knew it wouldn't overwhelm me if I bothered to read it through and understand it, but I just wanted to get to the good stuff and I didn't want to waste time on the boring stuff.

Plot speed:
Very fast. This book doesn't waste time. Once the story started, which took a few pages because we first had to be reminded of what happened in Inside Out and given an update on where things stand at the moment, it went fast. There were very few calm moments, but that didn't bother me because there were still some still moments in the middle of the chaos that allowed Trella (and the reader) time to gather her thoughts.

Characters:
Way too many. I lost track at some point. There were plenty of characters in Inside Out and in Outside In all of those characters return plus some new ones. And it's also important to remember who's good and who's bad, who can be trusted and who can't be and all of that nonsense. I had to reread several parts to keep myself from getting too confused and to remind myself whose on which side and how many sides there were.

My favorite parts:
Anytime sheep were mentioned!!!!! I loved how livestock the characters never saw in real life played such a prominent part in the story and represented a rebellion. Seriously, who would ever consider representing a rebellion with a tame animal like a sheep? Even a goat is less ridiculous! But the sheep (especially Sheepy) were what drew me in and kept me laughing even when I had no right to.

Romance:
This book made my heart squeal. I didn't really like Trella and Riley's relationship in Inside Out because I kind of felt like she was doing all the work and he was just there to be a pretty face, but he did his share of hard work in Outside In to make up for that. Their romance was sweet and innocent in a world where nothing else was.

Sequel possible?
I'm not sure. The ending was very well-rounded and left almost no cracks to slip another novel in, but I would have said the same thing after finishing Inside Out.


5 stars. Despite my complaints, this book was truly awesome. 

Outside In (Insider, #2) 
Me?

A leader?

Okay, I did prove that there's more to Inside than we knew. That a whole world exists beyond this cube we live in. And finding that led to a major rebellion—between worker scrubs like me and the snobby uppers who rule our world. Make that ruled. Because of me, we're free. I thought that meant I was off the hook, and could go off on my own again—while still touching base with Riley, of course. He's the one upper I think I can trust. But then we learned that there's outside and then there is Outside.

And something from Outside wants In.

No comments: