Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Overnight Socialite, by Bridie Clark

The inside cover describes this book as Pygmalion in the 21st century. Girl from Minnesota (Lucy Jo) comes to the big city and becomes the subject of Wyatt Hayes', a snooty upper class guy, experiment. The experiment is, as you can guess, to turn her into a socialite and see if she can fool all the other socialites. There's also Wyatt's malicious ex, Cornelia, who desires to be number one and in time makes it her goal to destroy Lucy. Does she succeed? You'll have to read the book to find that out.

I was surprised by the author's style in this book, mainly because I read her debut novel and I expected The Overnight Socialite to be more like it. And it wasn't. I also appreciated the minimal use of name dropping. In most books about upper class society in Manhattan at least 5 designers are mentioned per page and other famous names pop up constantly. Not so much here. Don't get me wrong-names were dropped plenty, just not enough to make me grind my teeth in frustration. Only enough to make me sigh once in a while.

I am very sad. My computer closed the page and was kind enough to reopen it for me but then lost everything I typed. Absolutely lovely, aint it? In rebellion I refuse to retype it all so you will have to manage without my riveting and engrossing humor. And you know what? You can blame my computer for it.

4.8 stars. I wrote an explanation but am too aggravated and bothered to rewrite it.



1 comment:

Haylie K said...

Bah hahaha! You're funny :)