Sunday, February 3, 2013

Every Day, by David Levithan

A is a wandering soul, waking up every morning in a different person's body. Sometimes A tries to do right by A's host; sometimes A spends the day hiding away so as not to ruin the host's life. Then A meets Rhiannon. While spending the day in her boyfriend Justin's body, A has the time of A's life with Rhiannon and falls deeply for her immediately. Unable to let go, A spends the next couple of days doing anything A can to be close to her. Finally, after years of emotional detachment, A has something A actually wants to live for-a reason to keep on being. Can A conquer who A really is and be with Rhiannon? Or is A doomed to live the rest of A's life without the woman A loves?

The number one thing I look for in books is a concept that I've never heard of or thought of before-one that blows my mind with its originality. I found that in Mothership and I found it in an extremely different way in Every Day. At first the concept of switching bodies and taking over for a day made me extremely uncomfortable, but once I got accustomed to it it was interesting to hear the author's take on what it is like in the minds of different people. I was especially struck by the day A spent in the obese teen. A is bodiless, so to read A's perspective of what it was like in Finn's body was incredible and almost made me cry.

For anyone who wondered at my lack of pronouns in the first paragraph, it was because A doesn't have one. A's pronoun in the book depended on the body A was in for the day. It was cool to have a character who doesn't associate with a particular gender and only determines the difference between males and females as anatomy and hormones. It creeped me out at first but once I got used to it I found it almost inspiring.

The ending of this book was perfect. It didn't destroy the purposes of the characters and it left me with a satisfying feeling. However, what I really felt when I finished Every Day was the big lesson of the book: make every day count. After A leaves the body of the day's host, the host doesn't realize what had just happened to him/her. The missing day is just a blur in the host's memory. While reading about this I contemplated whether I would fall for that or not, and I sadly realized that I probably would. Every Day taught me that every single day is a gift and I should appreciate every second of it.


3.7 stars.

Every DayEvery day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.

There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.

No comments: