Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Rites of Spring (Break), by Diana Peterfreund (Secret Society Girl #3)

Links to my reviews of the previous Secret Society Girl books:
Secret Society Girl
Under the Rose

Life is never quite for a Digger, especially Amy Haskel. Amy, or Bugaboo, as her brothers call her is up to her usually antics, getting in trouble with guys and being the new target for the pranks of a rival secret society. When spring break comes around, Amy is ecstatic to escape from Eli campus and go to a private island off the coast of Florida occupied only by fellow Diggers and their families. However, life does not calm down in the slightest when she arrives on Cavador Key. Instead it gets more excited as unaccidental accidents keep happening and once again, Amy is the target. Put this together with what may be a new romance with a guy Amy had always hated until she didn't (though I totally predicted it-just look at my review of Under the Rose) and this vacation is bound to be Amy's most exciting adventure yet.

This book was INCREDIBLE!!!! You know a series is good when the middle books are just as good as the first and last books (like Harry Potter or Percy Jackson) and strangely enough, Secret Society Girl is like that too. I loved this book so much that I ordered Tap and Gown a second after I finished it because my library doesn't have it. Just thinking about this book is getting my thoughts to give little girlish squeaks.


Spoilers Ahead- skip to the italics on bottom for the publisher's summary



I was very surprised that Darren was the one causing all the trouble. If there's one thing I've learned from the SSG books it's that you never know what will happen and when Darren started getting all violent then I was shocked. It made sense afterwards, and because he's just a kid the author was able to get him out without being labeled a psycho, but it still caught me off guard.

I thought the whole Brandon thing at the beginning was unnecessary. Yes, it helped with plot, but it also split the book into two stories-before spring break and after spring break. It also seemed pointless to me because once they were on the boat for Cavador Key Amy only thought about him when people mentioned that she was going through a hard time. If no one mentioned it she was perfectly fine. Only when the topic of guys came up did she feel bad about what had happened. Her romance with Poe could have happened without the Brandon prelude.

Because there is only one book left in the series, I am going to make a few predictions before I read book 4 to see if they will come true:
1. George + Clarissa are totally going to happen. I don't know why I think that but I did sense something there.
2. Malcolm should get a society boyfriend. There has to be someone around who's secretly gay, and whoever he is will end up with Malcolm.
3. The Diggers are going to do something so great that everyone will take them seriously again. This isn't so much a prediction as much as a hope, but I put it on this list anyway.


4.8 stars.

Rites of Spring (Break) (Secret Society Girl, #3) A week of R&R on her Rose & Grave’s private island should be all fun in the sun—and an escape from an on-campus feud with a rival society that’s turned disturbingly personal. But Amy is bringing a suitcase full of issues to Florida. Graduation from Eli University looms, not to mention unfinished business with a former flame and the confusing transformation of a mysterious Rose & Grave patriarch from sheer evil to dead sexy.

Just when Amy thinks Spring Break can’t get any less relaxing, a distressing accident puts everyone on edge. And that’s only the beginning. It seems that someone has infiltrated the island. There are major Rose & Grave secrets at stake—secrets which could take down one of America’s most loathsome figureheads—but this party crasher is serious about one thing: making sure Amy doesn’t get back to Eli alive.

No comments: