Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Elite, by Kiera Cass (The Selection #2)

 America is faced with a choice. She can accept her prince's proposal and end the Selection, becoming princess of the realm, or she can run off with her first love Aspen and live the rest of her life away from all the political drama. As America is pulled in both directions, the Selection continues and Prince Maxon starts getting close to another one of his chosen few. When rebels attack repeatedly, America must look inside herself and determine what she really wants-why is she still here, and what is her destiny?

This book only took me 2 hours to read. I don't know if it was an easy read, or if I was so desperate to know what will happen next that I half-skimmed it, but I was done in 2 hours. I enjoyed learning the history of how the castes were formed and why they still exist because it gave the series more depth and explained some things I'd been wondering about, namely why there are castes at all. I have just realized the obvious redundancy in the previous sentence, but I refuse to change it, so I am very sorry if it bothers you.



SPOILERS AHEAD

I am 100% Team Maxon, and I was thrilled when America made her choice. I figured she would choose Maxon in the end, just because she didn't run off with Aspen as soon as he asked her to, but it was still nice to have confirmation. Not only do we know now who America will end up with (because there's going to be a happy ending after the third book, no doubt about it), we also know who the real villains are, which is a relief. The first book was wishy-washy about the rebels and who they are and what they want, but finally the truth has been revealed, that the antagonist of the novels are not the rebels, but the king himself. I should have predicted it, but his lack of presence in the first book just made me think that he would be killed off soon. Oh, well. I was wrong. Now we can move on to the third book with all the facts laid out-we know who America will end up with, and who they will have to defeat.

  
Also, I compared this book to The Hunger Games, and like Katniss, America chose her Peeta.

4.8 stars.

The Elite (The Selection, #2) 
Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.

No comments: