Saturday, February 4, 2012

Clockwork Prince, by Cassandra Clare (Infernal Devices, Book 2)

In my last post on a book by Cassandra Clare I pointed out how once a series is finished, it should not be reopened. I was very upset with Ms. Clare and was ready to be done with her books once and for all, but when I heard that the sequel to Clockwork Angel was coming out, I knew I would have to read it.

Clockwork Prince continues the steampunk tale started in Clockwork Angel, of shapeshifter Tessa and her Shadowhunter comrades in the London Institute. After her falling out with Will on the roof at the end of Angel Tessa is hanging out more and more with Jem who is obviously in love with her (though I'm not sure if she knows it at the beginning). Meanwhile, we finally find out Will's secret and why he keeps pushing Tessa away even though it is obvious that he's in love with her. The crew searches for Mortmain, the villain who escaped at the end of Angel and discover some other things along the way, including a traitor in their midst. Although the identity of the traitor wasn't too surprising. I figured it out as soon as I read on the inside flap that there would be a traitor.

Now, finally, I will discuss what I have been aching to discuss since I have started typing about Clockwork Prince. Tessa gets to choose between two amazingly awesome guys who are both in love with her, although unlike in most books where I hate the main character for being undeserving of the guys' love, I actually felt bad for her. And for once, I wasn't taking sides (even though my sides tend to be based on how much I like the girl in the middle of the triangle) because both of these guys deserve happiness in Tessa's arms. One is dying tragically and the other is emotionally damaged. Another thing-why is it called a love triangle if there is no line connecting the two guys in it? I guess the two in this particular triangle do love each other in that brother/best friend kind of way but in most stories they don't. Therefore, the term "love triangle" should be eradicated and replaced with something that makes more geometric sense. Like a line segment. From now on I shall refer to love triangles as love line segments. Please correct me if I slip up.

P. S. Charlotte and Henry are the cutest literary couple and deserve to have a book written about them, specifically about when they got married.

Lesson: Always ask an expert. Read the book and you'll understand why I say that.

5 stars. Best love line segment ever.


No comments: