Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Catered Affair, by Sue Margolis

The basic plot-line goes something like this: girl meets boy. boy proposes. boy doesn't show up to wedding. girl is sad but meets another boy. Except, my question is, if I already know before reading the book that the fiance was going to jilt her at the altar, why are there 100 pages leading up to the wedding?
I skimmed the book until I reached the break up, and even then I skipped a bit until the potential love interest entered. Don't worry-it didn't take long.

The truth is, A Catered Affair was way better than I'm making it sound. In general I try to avoid the break-up books because I really don't want to read pages and pages of the main character crying and then missing all the blatantly obvious hints that some other guy is crazy about her. However, I was pleasantly surprised. After a few pages of tears and sobs, the book picked up again and Tally moved on with her life.

One of the things that Josh (the evil fiance who fixes sick kids) doesn't like about Tally is her wacky family. I loved her wacky family. They made the whole thing interesting. Her sister is awesome, her grandmother nuts, and her mother is.....I can't think of a good word. Pretty much anything would fit.
Another thing I loved is how Nana Ida thinks Kenny is gay because he dresses well. And all the jokes that come after that.

I'm not feeling very inspired right now, so I'm going to stop here. Enjoy!!!

Lesson: Never trust a pediatric surgeon.

4.8 stars. Boring beginning.

No comments: