Saturday, November 19, 2011

Something Like Fate, by Susane Colasanti

This is one of the most ambiguous titles ever. It has nothing to do with the actual story, only that the main character says the word "fate" a lot and thinks her love interest is her soul mate. I don't know if he is or not, but after all they went through they deserve it.

The first lines of the book are: "I never meant for it to happen like this. But if I had the chance, there's no way I would take it all back." Am I the only one who had to read the sentence over a few times before giving up? Now that I've finished the book I know what the author is talking about, but I still don't really get it. The story follows best friends Lani and Erin who are complete opposites. Erin starts dating Jason who is clearly into Lani and who Lani likes back, but it's too late. He's with Erin. Then Erin goes away for the summer, and Lani and Jason grow closer and closer. And fall in love. This takes about 3/4 of the book. The story went so slowly that I thought there would be another 100 pages worth of story when there were two.

Lani had this obsession about how similar she and Jason were. I have to admit, she has a point. But rather than soul mates, they seem more like long lost twins, or two people sharing a brain (is that possible?). Seriously, who identifies brands of water by color and shape? Apparently, Poland Spring is a red circle. Another is an orange rhombus. Yes, that is what they think about water. And I thought I was weird.

There were also a bunch of sappy details which I left out.

3.8 stars. Colasanti's writing was definitely too easy for me, but I would have enjoyed this book around four years ago.

No comments: