Thursday, December 29, 2011

Inheritance, by Christopher Paolini (last Eragon book)

I have to train myself not to procrastinate. I'll start tomorrow. Although the fact that I'm writing this right now is progress, even though I am getting less and less excited about it with every second.

I read Eragon and Eldest around 5 years ago. 5 years ago!!!! I enjoyed them at the time and waited eagerly for Brisingr, the third and supposedly final book to come out. Then, the author and his publishers decide that they want to make more money so they claimed that the final book was so long it had to be split into two books. Right, because I accidentally turn books that are supposed to be 600 pages into 1400 pages all the time. It is completely obvious in Inheritance that Paolini's excuse is bogus.

Enough of my ranting-I just needed to get it out before saying that the book was actually pretty decent. The ending was a tad disappointing but it worked and didn't destroy the whole series that came before it like some endings do. The final fight took around 200 pages and the epilogue took around 100. That's a lot of words. However, I did enjoy it (not the tediousness? tediosity? but the story).

For those of you who don't know, the story of Eragon is Star Wars in the world of Lord of the Rings, complete with "Luke, I am your father" (well, not quite but almost. It's more like, "Eragon, I am your brother," but you get the point.) Although some of the imitation of Middle Earth was obviously intentional, the Star Wars thing seems completely unplanned. The Dragon Riders (or Jedi knights) have all disappeared and then one springs up out of nowhere-that would be Eragon. His dragon, Saphira, can be compared to the Millennium Falcon or Chewbacca; Brom is obviously Obi-Wan; Arya-Leia. Darth Vader would be Murtagh, and the ultimate villain, the emporer, is Galbatorix (doesn't that name sound fake?)

Finally, after thousands of pages, we reach the last book which has the FINAL BATTLE. And in the last book, one must read 600 pages (yes, 600) until one will reach the beginning of the battle. I don't know how Paolini spreads out battle scenes so long. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he's a guy. I hate battle scenes because I'm just waiting to find out who's going to die, and I was bored out of my mind during the alternating chapters not taking place in the palace, but rather in the ruckus outside.

So, if you like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings and wonder what they would be like mixed together, you should read the Inheritance Cycle. If you like them and want to retain their individualities, don't read it. Although, chances are you've already read them.

4.5 stars. I waited too long.

 
I predicted who this dragon would belong to and I was right.

No comments: