Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Crossed, by Ally Condie (sequel to Matched)

Before I begin I am requesting that anyone who knows why this book is called Crossed please write it in the comments.

One of the things I loved about Matched was the philosophical aspect. Matched made you think about the choices we have and we make and what influences these choices. Matched was a book that made you think. Unfortunately, Crossed could not live up to that. While reading it I felt as if it was an extremely long epilogue to the thought-provoking book I had read two weeks earlier. It is almost like (and it resembles Skinned in this way) the author used Matched to introduce us to the society and the problems in it and waits until the sequels to really get started on the story.

Crossed is told from the points of view of both Cassia and Ky. I didn't realize that when I started which caused some confusion in the first chapter as I assumed it would be from Cassia's point of view. Cassia is in some sort of work camp while Ky is in a fake village which gets bombed every night. (Don't ask.) As you can imagine, there aren't many survivors in Ky's village which is occupied only by "soldiers" like himself. I put quotes around the word soldiers because they're only there to die conveniently for the society. After each escapes from their camps they go off into the middle of nowhere searching for each other. And, SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
they find each other. While reading about them looking for each other I was getting really bored but once they found each other I realized that the probability of that happening is probably .00000001 %. But since it's a teen love story, I'll just go with it. Oh, and there's a rebellion stirring up too.

I don't know if I talked about this in my post on Matched but why does Cassia deserve to have two such awesome guys in love with her? She seems kind of boring and selfish in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't want to be friends with her. For instance, she totally forgot about her best friend from home (the girl one, not Xander) as she is not mentioned once in the book. And Ky risked the little he had for her and she can't stop thinking about Xander, who should come to life and date me. I could use a gorgeous brilliant considerate courageous sweet hot blonde guy [wink].

3.5 stars. I almost regret reading it.

If you look at the cover of Matched you'll see a girl in a bubble. Here she's breaking out of it.






No comments: