Sunday, February 19, 2012

Magic Bites, by Ilona Andrews

I would describe "Magic Bites" as a post-apocalyptic sci-fi/fantasy "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Similarities include a tough female main character who solves mysteries involving men/magical creature thingies that torture and murder women. Although I liked Kate better than I liked Lizbeth. I'm trying to figure out how to phrase why, so you'll just have to be content with that.

The world where Magic Bites takes place is ours (Atlanta, actually), just a few hundred years in the future. Instead of our society being destroyed by our love of pollution (for some reason we always destroy the world) it was torn apart by waves of magic which knock out all electricity and technology. In Kate's world there are "magic waves" and "tech waves". Since the world has been like this for a while, Kate and everyone else are accustomed to it.

In this future magic world there are two major factions: the shapeshifters and the necromancers. Shapeshifters are exactly what they sound like, and the necromancers create vampires which they send off to do their dirty work. These vampires are actual vampires though, not sparkly marble statues that fall in love with humans. These vampires are practically animals. Thank you, Ilona Andrews! I have waited a long time to read a book where the vampires aren't wusses. Kate is looking for her guardian's murderer and is trying to figure out all what all the fishy details surrounding his grisly death mean. What annoyed me were the cryptic lines about Kate's dad and her background and what he really knew. JUST TELL ME ALREADY!!!!

I don't usually like mysteries but this one had me hooked. I tried to put it down but the writing was so graphic and real that I was able to picture it all in my head. And I was never even in Atlanta.

I'm going off to read the sequel now.

4.6 stars. Something in me doesn't let me rate a mystery with 5 stars.

The lion is the shapeshifter who I know she will end up with at the end through my psychic powers. When I do get up to that point, I will look back and say "Ha! Told you so!"

No comments: