Friday, March 23, 2012

Vixen, by Jillian Larkin

I love flapper dresses. And twenties bobs. But I did not love Vixen, even though it was filled with both. Vixen follows three girls in Prohibition era Chicago in a most unrealistic fashion. At the center of the story is Gloria, the ultimate good girl who longs for something more than her perfect little life. Lorraine, Gloria's best friend, is sick of being in Gloria's limelight and wants to be the center of everything.  Clara is Gloria's cousin who comes to Chicago to help plan Gloria's wedding, and to escape her own troubled past. Intertwined with the three girls' lives are the charming Marcus, Gloria's best friend and Lorraine's crush who falls for Clara, Sebastian, Gloria's fiance who is not the person everyone thinks he is, and Jerome Johnson, the musician at the speakeasy the three girls frequent.


I had many problems with Vixen, but I am asking you to sit quietly while I complain about them, as petty as they may be. In order for a story to be believably from another time period, it must be written as if it was from that time period. The pace at which my eyes were able to sweep the page while my brain processed the story was too fast for anything written that long ago. The story sounded like something taking place nowadays, just with cliches such as "the cat's pajamas" interspersed at various points. The characters were all one-sided and the only reason I bothered to finish it was that the drama was too good. Also unrealistic, but juicy nonetheless.

3.4 stars

I want that dress!!!!

No comments: