Monday, May 23, 2011

Heart of the Matter, by Emily Giffin

Let me tell you-the inside cover told me almost nothing about the book so before you read it I will provide you with a little more information. All it says is that there is this woman Tessa who is married to some fancy doctor guy and has the perfect life with two adorable children. Valerie is a single mom with a kid who is also adorable. BAM-there is an accident and their lives collide in a way they never would have imagined. To tell you the truth, I was convinced that Tessa's Dr. Right would be Valerie's baby daddy and I thought that would make for a pretty cool story but alas, I was wrong. If you don't want to find out anymore stop here; if you were in the same room as me while I read the book and screamed about it (you know who you are), you already know the plot because I screamed and yelped and hollered about it.

Here it goes (and it's a lot simpler than I thought): Tessa's Dr. Perfect isn't so Perfect and is more of a Dr. Seems Like He's Perfect but is NOT!!!!! Yup, you guessed it--he has a slight thing with Valerie that turns into something not so slight but extremely emotional and somewhat physical. And Tessa is sitting at home knitting and being a good mom this whole time. Let me tell you, this guy has nerve, because when she confronts him about their marriage heading down an alleyway that slightly resembles a latrine and asks why he's been distant he FREAKIN' BLAMES HER!!!!! This book made me mildly upset if you couldn't tell. And I just skipped the whole story. How did the lovelorn lovers meet? Well, Dr. I'm So Handsome And Everyone Loves Me happens to be a pediatric plastic surgeon which means instead of making millions off insecure women who want everything enlarged or shrunk he saves kids' lives. So it's kind of hard to hate him. But after leaving his anniversary dinner (yes, his anniversary dinner) he goes to the hospital to save Valerie's son Charlie's life. Which he does. And then he fools poor Charlie into thinking that he is a father figure. (EVILNESS). But the point of the book is Tessa and Valerie. And I cheered for Tessa. She's the one married to him with kids you know. He is hers and hers alone; don't let that pretty face fool you.

Emotions were off the wall--I literally (and literaturely, pun totally intended) felt what Valerie and Tessa were feeling. But Nick, spawn of Voldemort, you don't have feelings. All you can do is fix kids and make cute babies and break hearts.

On a side note, Tessa is Dex from Something Borrowed's brother. (That's another great book by Emily Giffin.) And you find out what happened to him after the end of Something Blue here so that was cool. But that guy gave his sister some serious karma, let me tell you.

I am at a loss here. 4 stars, I guess. Points off for not being what I thought it would be. The cover was too happy looking. Sad things should not be happy looking. Doesn't everyone know that?



No comments: