Sunday, May 15, 2011

Get Lucky, by Katharine Center

I must say, this book pleasantly surprised me. It was small and the summary in the back didn't say much about it so I was going into it unprepared. But, as I said before, it was better than I thought it would be. Even if the title has almost nothing to do with the actual story. But, what is the story, you are asking. And I am about to answer your question.

Sarah is this successful ad agency person who after finishing up with a job that should have gotten her a promotion sent a dirty email to everyone at her company and got fired. Boo hoo. Now she is going to her sister for Thanksgiving. Yay! Her sister, Mackie (love that name) is all depressed because she can't have kids and has finally given up on it ever happening. Sarah can't bear to see her sister like this and comes up with a brilliant idea. Her own sister's uterus is no good as a baby oven, but Sarah's is!! So Sarah decides to gestate her neice/nephew for 9 months (which is even more selfless than it sounds) and everyone is excited. The author also doesn't skim over the ugly parts of pregnancy. In some books the only proof that someone is pregnant is that she vomits twice and has a big belly but not Get Lucky. Oh, and Sarah's love interest is this guy who she dated in high school and whose heart she crushed with a sledgehammer. What is a sledgehammer, by the way? I've always wondered. Anyway, she and the once nerd share all these I hate you-I love you-I hate you moments until the end which is somewhat predictable. That was a run on sentence. I think.

The people in this book are awesome. I shouldn't use that word, it sounds too teenager-ish. The people in this book are _______(any word meaning awesome). No one is perfect; every relationship has a flaw. For instance, Sarah who seems so selfless, clawed out her ex's heart in high school. And Mackie who seems like the sweetest and perfect-est older sister ever is really annoying. Like, really annoying. The whole sister relationship was also entirely possible. As a sister with many sisters, I can vouch for the book in that this is what a real sisterly relationship looks like. Not only the mushy stuff or the rivalry stuff, but a perfect combination of both. I also felt Sarah's emotions as I read. It was a tad creepy. My favorite character is Howard. But you'll have to read the book to find out who he is. Ha ha.

5 stars. I majorly underestimated this book by its cover. If that sentence doesn't make sense, you get what I'm saying.

No comments: