Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Book of Tomorrow, by Cecelia Ahern

I don't know if I commented on any Cecelia Ahern books yet but let me tell you: you will never read anything like them. I don't love all the ones I've read but I've never read any other books that can compare. On that note, I will say that The Book of Tomorrow was the slowest of the ones I've read. Not my least favorite, it just took way too long to get interesting.

Tamara Goodwin's father commits suicide right when his fortune is totally depleted (no thanks to the family's lavish lifestyle) and so Tamara and her mother go to live in the middle of nowhere with her aunt and uncle. There happens to be a castle in the middle of nowhere, by the way. It is very boring there. Interesting things happened very slowly, so slowly that I didn't even find them interesting by the time they happened. Then Tamara finds a book that is, well, the book of tomorrow. Every day that she opens it up she finds her own diary entry from the next day. She can choose to follow what it says or deny the things that she doesn't want to happen. Freaky, right? Tamara is curious, and has many questions that build up until they are all answered in the last few chapters. So you are sitting there semi bored and semi curious until the end.

The setting was a little bit bothersome, but the characters were funny. The villain is so psychotically evil that the book is fun. And don't underestimate the mom. Or Uncle Arthur. There is more to them than you think. (Now I'm leaving you in suspense. Can you tell?)

3.9 stars. I wanted to go into the 4's but I couldn't.

No comments: