Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Choice, by Nicholas Sparks

I cannot believe I am commenting on a Nicholas Sparks book. I have a theory about Sparks which is proved in all his books. Whenever I tell it to people they make an "eh" kind of noise but I'm not sure what they're trying to tell me, so I want anyone reading this to comment on it. In depth. And make sure you include a bibliography :) . Here it is: Nicholas Sparks books make fun of women and their love of romance. My proofs are that 1. He is straight and although that is based on a generalization, generalizations are based on something, 2. The romance and writing is very cliche, often plotless. In The Choice he actually uses the phrase "we fit together". That is the most annoying romance phrase ever. Seriously, of course you fit together-I'm not going to go into details because I want to stay PG. But honestly, that phrase sounded nice the first time I heard/read it in a movie/book. After that it just sounds fake.
Now you're looking at me (or the screen) with a confused look on your face because you're wondering why I read this book if I'm so against Sparks. (His name is Sparks. Isn't that perfect for a romance author?) I read it because it's fun to laugh at it. When people are confessing their love, or dying, or ruining their lives forever I'm cracking up. Just from the way it's written I can't take it seriously.

Finally I will talk about The Choice. There's almost nothing to say. The book is in 2 parts. I read the first and skimmed the second because I had no patience and I wanted to go to sleep. In the first part neighbors Travis and Gabby slowly become friends and -spoiler that isn't really a spoiler because this is a Nicholas Sparks book- they fall in love. Part 2 is a 10 years later kind of thing. I skimmed it. There's a car accident somewhere, a coma, and a secret. I don't really know the details though because as I said before, I only skimmed it. And the stuff I skimmed didn't seem good enough to actually go through. There's also plenty of animal love. Animal love drives me up the wall because I don't like animals. There's also a big choice that someone has to make. Did I mention that?

2.8 tears. This is a Nicholas Sparks book so it gets tears instead of stars.
 
As I said, animal love. This cover says absolutely nothing about the book inside it except that there's a dog. 


No comments: