Saturday, September 10, 2011

Cloaked, by Alex Flinn

I love this book. I love everything about it. I love the story, the characters, the author, the setting, the shoes. There are a lot of shoe references and I love them. I love, I love, I love. So if you were wondering, yes this is a good book.

I'm a huge fan of Alex Flinn's Beastly (the book the movie is based on) and A Kiss in Time which are both fairy tales rewritten, taking place today instead of hundreds of years ago. Beastly is based on Beauty and the Beast and is a fantastic book and probably 10 times better than the movie although I haven't seen it so I can't be sure. A Kiss in Time is just, well, as much as I hate using this word, awesome. It's based on Sleeping Beauty, and as I just said, is awesome. Cloaked isn't based on one fairy tale like the other two, rather, it's a mix of a whole bunch of less popular ones. The basis of the story is The Frog Prince, with a prince turned into a frog but that plot is only a small part.

The story is basically about this boy, Johnny, who works in a shoe repair shop in South Beach. Then a gorgeous princess shows up and asks him to find her brother who has been turned into a frog. He doesn't believe her but then she gives Johnny a bunch of magical items and some money so he agrees to go on the quest for her. Then he runs around Florida, which is way more dangerous than you think (and I'm not talking about the old people). There are giants, and witches, and talking foxes, and six magical swans. And a lot of shoes. I liked the shoe parts.

5 stars. Did you notice that I loved it?

 
There are also editions of Beastly and A Kiss in Time with similar covers. Read them!!!

No comments: