Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Juliet Club, by Suzanne Harper

As has happened many times before, I had no idea what I was in for with this book. What I found was a cute book with a predictable plot written for girls a bit younger than me.

So, what did I like? I called the book cute so there must have been something. You'll just have to give me a minute. Okay, so it was a light and fun read with satisfying romance but I still felt like something was missing. The characters all seemed a bit too fake, with personalities trying too hard to fit a certain mold only to surprise! break the mold a little bit to look like "real" people. The romance, while good, also seemed a bit forced. Seriously, that never happens in real life. But, if I had read this four years ago, I would have loved it.

Kate goes to Italy to some Shakespeare scholars summer program to study Romeo and Juliet. She was just dumped by her boyfriend for the popular girl and at the ripe old age of 17 has decided that love is stupid and that she has it all figured out. Maybe I didn't like how a 17 year old thinks she's smarter than everyone else. (That's kind of hypocritical though, because I'm 17, but I don't think I'm smarter than everyone else.) Kate gets distracted though by Giacomo and la la la la la I can't tell you any more. Ok, maybe I can. There are other people too who have crushes actually kind of a he likes her but she likes other him who likes other her kind of situation. But it all gets solved in the end. And there's a pretend romance somewhere in the mix too which makes it even more cliche.

I don't know how much I can say and how much I can't so maybe I'll just stop here.

3 stars. I wish I could go lower but the sappy girl inside me doesn't let.
 

No comments: