Thursday, June 9, 2011

Just Listen, by Sarah Dessen

I am not a Sarah Dessen person. I have friends who practically swear by her books but after getting majorly turned off by a pregnant teenager and her morbid (or is she boring? I don't remember.) best friend I didn't read any more of her books. This is the 3rd one I've read recently and I cannot explain why I keep coming back. The books are all identical. All of them have a main character with no personality, a boy who is either bad or has a damaged past or both, at least one, usually two or three, life altering things in the past and present, and a mundane everyday object given way too much significance. Here it was music. And modeling.

All I knew about the book before I started was that Annabel and her best friend are in a fight and Annabel isn't saying what happened and is ostracizing herself instead. She's a model; her sister has an eating disorder; she becomes friends with a guy named Owen who is music obsessed. He's not even obsessed with good music--no, he listens to obscure stuff that can't even be called music over all the noise. And he's a snob about it too, thinking that he is "enlightened" (her word, not mine) and so is anyone who agrees with him. Annabel is also infuriating because whenever someone is upset with her or she gets in a fight she runs away and ignores that person. So they're mad at her for the fight and get even madder because she hates confrontation and never approaches them again and they see her avoiding them as a mean, purposeful thing. I want to shake her really hard. I like Owen better. He knows how to get angry. Angry people are a lot more interesting than people who literally run away. The book should have been about him.

I can't say anything else without giving it away so I'll say what I can. I don't like Sophie. I like Emily. I like Clarke. Rolly and Mallory are comic relief. Don't underestimate Kirsten and Whitney. As a sister, I sympathized with all the sister problem and was very proud of them at the end of the book.

4 stars. For some reason, I couldn't put it down.


No comments: