Saturday, June 4, 2011

Immortal: Love Stories With Bite, edited by P.C. Cast

Yes, I hate short stories. And yes, I read two anthologies of them in two weeks. Shameful of me, isn't it? But these stories were actually more enjoyable than the ones in the vampire one. Not that there weren't vampires here too- notice the title? But here there was an emphasis on the word love so they (mostly) weren't dark and evil and endless and dreary and depressing and morbid and funereal and suicidal. I mean, some of these were like that but as a whole they weren't. I enjoyed most of these stories but I was still annoyed with them so I realized what it was that was so bothersome: it was vampire/fantasy overload. A normal book this size or even longer I can handle easily and then get up and read another supernatural book but I was a little nauseated when I picked up the next book in my pile. Each story manages to pack in so much fantasy nonsense that I just couldn't handle it anymore. So here are the indiviual analyzations:

Haunted Love, by Cynthia Leticia Smith: Very cool. Loved how the supernatural was hinted and then came out to hit you in the famous. However, she made the age-old mistake of trying to fit a 300 page book into 30 pages. But very good. 4.4

Amber Smoke, by Kristin Cast: One of the worst in the book. Too many extraneous details for a short story. Girl has no personality and accepts everything after protesting twice. 3 stars.

Dead Man Stalking, by Rachel Caine: Must admit-I was impressed. Only overlapping author between this and the one I read last week and this one rocked unlike the other. Rocked in comparison. It wasn't the best just wasn't the worst like before. Loved the title. 4.2 stars.

Table Manners, by Tanith Lee: Amazing. Girl is at weird rich people and her opinions of them are hysterical. Then the vampire comes. And the whole story becomes even better. 4.5 stars

Blue Moon, by Richelle Mead: Really, Richelle Mead, I was expecting more from you. It was decent and the story itself was very good just with this one I literally wished you had made it into a book and not a short story. There is so much you could have done with the girl vampire escaping with the help of the human boy and the whole prophecy thing. Instead it was just kinda lame. 3.8 stars.

Changed, by Nancy Holder: Not what I was expecting. This story takes place during the Vampocalypse (that's what I'm calling it) and some girl is trying to find the guy she is in love with who happens to be gay. Very dark and deep and angsty. 3.7 -4 stars

Binge, by Rachel Vincent: These vampires are special because they don't suck your blood. Mallory, main character, sucks talent and Andi, best friend, is a siren and sucks out life energy. 3.5 stars.

Free, by Claudia Gray: I was a fan of Evernight but I didn't like the sequel. One of my favorite things about Evernight was Patrice who was the main character of this story. Let me tell you--Patrice is one vamp you don't want to cross. And I love her. She is my favorite character in this book and her story is phenomenal. 4.9 stars.

Total: 3.4 stars. Sorry, but altogether they weren't that great.

I have no idea whose face that is.

No comments: