Monday, October 17, 2011

Passion, by Lauren Kate

This weekend I outdid myself. I read 4 books, didn't read 1 book (which means I was going to but decided not to), and 3 of the 4 and the 1 were sequels. I don't know if that's good or bad.

Note: Do not continue reading if you did not read books 1 and 2 (which I didn't comment on apparently).

The first book I read was Passion. It is the third book in a 4-book series (thank goodness-I hate when series don't end), and it finally solved the great problem of the first two books. Unfortunately, it set up a whole new problem to be fixed in the last book. The problem that was solved was the whole "true love reincarnated" thing between Luce and Daniel. Daniel is a fallen angel, literally, and lives forever. Luce is the girl he was cursed to fall in love with over and over again only to watch her die. She never lives past the age of 17 and usually goes up in flames after she and Daniel kiss for the millionth first time. (Don't get any ideas about Daniel's kissing abilities-there's some technical stuff involved, which I missed. I always miss the big reveal of the secret, probably because I skim.) So, after the big shebang that ended off the second book, Luce goes through Announcers (if you want to know what they are, stop cheating and READ THE BOOK-or don't, it's not that amazing) and travels to her past selves to see what happened and to find out if her and Daniel's love is really real, or just a nonsensical infatuation thrown on her as if she had taken a love potion.
I must apologize here because while reading the first book I thought Luce had the same name and looked the same in every life. I was wrong. Her name usually has the Lu sound in it and in English speaking countries it is Lucinda, but her last name isn't always Price. And I don't think she always looks the same. I don't know for sure but there was something about recognizing herself by her life source/aura-thingy, and she turns up in some pretty far out places so I don't think she does. Daniel's looks confuse me even more because the dude never dies. How is he supposed to look different if he NEVER DIES??????????  At some point Luce comments that she recognizes him even though he looks different than the Daniel she knows but if he NEVER DIES than how does he look different? HOW??????? I apologize for screaming.

Every book should have a lesson so here is one that I learned from Passion: Never trust a guy named Bill who comes up out of nowhere.

4 stars. As a whole, the series isn't that bad. Each book alone can get pretty annoying.
That body does not look real. The proportions are all wrong.

No comments: